a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

A mixed selection of feedback from a couple of months of use

nkduk04_17115
New in Town

A mixed selection of feedback from a couple of months of use

Postby nkduk04_17115 » January 25th, 2017 11:53 am

Hi there
I've subscribed to your system and have been using it several months now.
This feedback is from some notes that i took. I sent this to your 'contactus' email address a while ago, but had no response to it.

Home page/Dashboard

https://www.cantoneseclass101.com/index.php

* The "My teacher" section - it functionally does nothing for me and takes up space. Can i remove it or swap it with the "Quick Links" section in its place?

* The 'upgrade' button in the top right and in the 'my account' tile. Can you make it less obtrusive, or perhaps hide it until there are only a few weeks left to run on the current subscription.

Lesson page

eg. https://www.cantoneseclass101.com/2015/07/18/lower-beginner-2-first-things-first-in-hong-kong/

* Line by line audio section. I generally only want to see Jyupting and English. I dont need Cantonese. Can these be checkboxes of Cantonese, Jyputing, English, with no 'All'. I'd want to tick the Jyupting and English boxes and have that choice remember for all lessons. Also, instead of all Jyupting together, then all English together, it'd be easier to use if it was presented the way that the 'Vocabulary' section is laid out - which has the checkboxes and each vocabulary word with the jyupting and english together.
in this instance: https://www.cantoneseclass101.com/2010/ ... transcript it'd be a lot easier to use if each line of transcript had the english and chinese by it, instead of half a page down in its own section.

* Line by Line audio - can we get a 'normal' and a 'slow' playback button, as there is in the Vocabulary panel?

* Review > Quizzes. There is no jyupting option here at all. That makes this unusable for me and i suspect many others, as i havent learned the cantonese characters. The Writing Questions bit also only allows the cantonese characters enter as a result. You have the jyupting available, can it not be used here?

Grammar database

* https://www.cantoneseclass101.com/cantonese-grammar/

* it might be better if you simply had an index. Search isnt the way to go on this.
eg. 'comparisons' brought back a lot of results, but there might be grammar lessons that i miss because i don't know that they are there so don't know what to search for it on. one of the search results was 'The focus of this lesson is tense comparison in Cantonese. '
I couldnt find this in the 'Grammar Bank Search' section, so I'm not sure how I'd stumble upon it apart from luck or knowing it was there to search for.
Indexes !
You've got all the content in there, just don't make the lucky dip of a search the way to get to it!

Word bank

* it would be good if you could get these grammar rules into the wordbank somehow

* word bank - from a lesson in the vocab section. in the app i can add words to a specific bank. eg one for verbs, one for nouns. On the web, i dont have this option, i can only 'add to workback'

https://www.cantoneseclass101.com/2015/10/03/lower-beginner-13-dont-get-stepped-on-in-hong-kong/
i have completed up to class 13. can the left hand panel scroll down to show my last completed class. ie. not start at showing class 1, which means i have to scroll down.

.... the jupyting bit is handy for playing a dialogue line at full speed, so can practice something that is how a native would say it

Audio lessons

In the upper beginner classes, Melody now speaks entirely Cantonese, to which Richard will reply 'Right', as if the student possibly understood it! Bear in mind that the student is still trying to pick up upper beginner, and the language used by Melody and her speed is impossible to follow.

Hope some of that is useful to you, and perhaps might be implemented. What do others think?

lena_17119
New in Town

Re: A mixed selection of feedback from a couple of months of use

Postby lena_17119 » January 30th, 2017 5:56 am

Hello nkduk04,

Thank you for posting.
We’ll consider your feedback for our future development. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

There are a few things which are already available, let me teach you how. :)
You wrote:
"* word bank - from a lesson in the vocab section. in the app i can add words to a specific bank. eg one for verbs, one for nouns. On the web, i dont have this option, i can only 'add to workback'"

At the Wordbank section on the site, you can create labels the same way you do on the app. If you click on the 'Labels' drop down menu, you can add for example a 'verb' label by choosing 'Add New Label'. After that click in the checkboxes of the verbs in your existing list, then click in the 'verb' label's checkbox, then click 'Apply' in the same drop down menu.

If you want to sort the words based on the labels you create, you can do by clicking on the 'Show All Labels' drop down menu. It will show other options.

Regrading the audio lesson speed what you mentioned at the end, there's a speed control button on both the site's and app's audio player. Please try to adjust the speed.
I hope these information help!

Thank you very much for using our site!
Let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Lena
Team CantoneseClass101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn Cantonese Feature Requests”