a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How to filter out "written" cantonese

007aaron_16956
New in Town

How to filter out "written" cantonese

Postby 007aaron_16956 » December 10th, 2014 11:32 pm

Hello,
I have been learning Cantonese on and off for many years now. I recently found the http://www.cantoneseclass101.com/ resource.

This is a fantastic resource, however there is one huge drawback for me. It seems to be teaching cantonese via the written chinese rather than the spoken cantonese.

For example, I have no intention of learning "today" spoken as:
今天 gam1 tin1

I only wish to learn it as:
今日 gam1 jat6

Unfortunately, cantoneseclass101 favours gam1 tin1 over gam1 yat6.

Do you have any advice on how I can still use cantonese 101 without needing to worry about the words that are only for being written in?

I wish to use cantoneseclass101 but have the ability to filter out all the written word examples.

Regards

Aaron O'Brien

ill_marketing_intern
Been Around a Bit

Re: How to filter out "written" cantonese

Postby ill_marketing_intern » December 11th, 2014 2:34 am

Hi Aaron O'Brien,

Welcome to CantoneseClass101.com! We offered both systems for students of different levels.
If you are only interested in learning colloquial Cantonese, please make use of our Audio lessons.
Most Video lessons are in written form.

Should there be any questions, please do not hesitate to ask, we are here to help :wink:

Olivia
Team CantoneseClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
007aaron_16956
New in Town

Postby 007aaron_16956 » December 12th, 2014 9:04 pm

Thanks Olivia,
I was specifically interested when listening to the individual vocabulary words to know whether that word was used in written or spoken or both.

It doesn't appear that this gets done - is that correct?

Regards

Aaron

ill_marketing_intern
Been Around a Bit

Postby ill_marketing_intern » December 16th, 2014 9:26 am

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately, not at the moment. But for your information, the vocabularies taught in the audio lessons are mostly colloquial. :wink:

Olivia
Team CantoneseClass101.com

mikelef
New in Town

Postby mikelef » April 27th, 2017 12:51 am

I just started using this site and I'm wondering if this has been updated since the thread was last active. I noticed the same thing when I got to the core 100 words and saw today in written form. I am only interested in learning spoken, and wish to make my flashcards with spoken accordingly.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

slc_17055
New in Town

Postby slc_17055 » April 30th, 2017 12:02 am

Hello mikelef,

The standard written Cantonese is commonly used in the news report, written notice, article, poster, instruction menu or pamphlet, etc.

{食(sik6)~ eat} and {瞓覺(fan3 gaau3) ~ sleep} are used in colloquial or conversational Cantonese. You may feel these words are more commonly used because you hear a lot but actually it depends on your preference of learning conversational Cantonese or written form Cantonese.

If you want to focus on learning the conversational Cantonese first, you may want to check out the Survival Phrases Lessons in Cantoneseclass101.com. The Lessons cover lots of essential phrases for traveling, visiting and sightseeing. :D

Survival Phrases
https://www.cantoneseclass101.com/2010/ ... thank-you/

Siuling
Team Cantoneseclass101.com

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Cantonese”