Start Learning Cantonese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

"University-level to Super-expert" literacy

ever.arevalo.70_16919
Been Around a Bit

"University-level to Super-expert" literacy

Postby ever.arevalo.70_16919 » June 25th, 2014 8:50 pm

I know that out there somewhere is somebody who posseses an unbelievable ability to read Chinese literature Cantonese-style; I mean someone who could open up a Classical Piece of Literature and read it without the aid of a dictionary. What would be the specific steps to progress towards that level. Also how do Hong Kong children learn pronunciation and tone of characters? I hear they do not use romanization. What are some of the specific methods that they use to commit the characters (pronunciation & tone too) into long term memory?

Thank you
Best Wishes

ill_marketing_intern
Been Around a Bit

Re: "University-level to Super-expert" literacy

Postby ill_marketing_intern » June 25th, 2014 10:56 pm

That's right, we learned Cantonese with the characters, and we never use romanization. When we were young we had to memorize a lot of Chinese characters and the vocabularies it can become, as well as their different pronunciations.
It's easier to start from learning about the radicals 部首: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_(C ... characters)
So every word is a combination of radical(s) and components, kind of like a puzzle. A single character can convey one or more meanings, that's why we need to use so many of them. :wink:

Olivia
Team CantoneseClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
ever.arevalo.70_16919
Been Around a Bit

Postby ever.arevalo.70_16919 » June 25th, 2014 11:25 pm

Dear Ms. Olivia:
Thank you for the real, straight-forward answer. I just feel as if when reading, instead of associating a character naturally with a meaning and a sound (pronunciation), I have to access somewhere in my my memory, a romanization, and an additional number. It adds more steps to "character-recollection" than what Native-Chinese actually use. Please do not take this as a complaint, as I am only venting. If you have any additional advice, it would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you
Best Wishes

ill_marketing_intern
Been Around a Bit

Postby ill_marketing_intern » July 1st, 2014 9:38 pm

In that case, maybe you can try learning the Chinese characters from Chinese based materials instead of an English one?
Found this Chinese site (Mandarin & in Simplified Chinese writing system) offering textbooks to download: http://www.hwjyw.com/textbooks/downloads/zhongwen/
Hope you'll find it useful.

Olivia
Team CantoneseClass101.com

ever.arevalo.70_16919
Been Around a Bit

Postby ever.arevalo.70_16919 » July 2nd, 2014 4:22 am

Thank you Ms. Olivia

I am indebted to you. The only way I can think of repaying you is to do Cantonese justice by wholeheartedly immersing myself in learning, mandarin second. Cantonese is number one.
Thank you

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Cantonese”