Start Learning Cantonese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Use of "leng loi" inappropriate to waitresses?

davidcoppard9559
New in Town

Use of "leng loi" inappropriate to waitresses?

Postby davidcoppard9559 » July 28th, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi Nicole, Matt or anyone else who can help here,

First of all thanks for making the iPad app, it's really helping me learn Cantonese.

I have one question though, the audio stresses that you should address waitresses as "Leng lui" rather than "Siu Je" promising better service if you do.

Even though I've explained this is for an informal setting I can't find a single native Cantonese speaker who doesn't think that's really forward and borderline inappropriate.

Isn't it safer to go with Siu Je? I mean if you walked into a bar in an anglophone country and asked the "attractive female" to bring you a beer would that be appropriate?

Just looking for your thoughts on this.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

David.

oc6544895
New in Town

Re: Use of "leng loi" inappropriate to waitresses?

Postby oc6544895 » July 29th, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi David,

We're impressed! We love that you are a very serious learner! :mrgreen:
In Hong Kong, the term used for addressing waiters/waitresses really depends on the types of restaurant. For example:
小姐 (siu2 je2) "miss", very generic, can be used for waitress, manager, customer, stranger, etc.
伙記 (fo2 gei3) "staff", very generic, can be used for both male and female in any restaurants
阿姐 (aa3 je1)/靚姐 (leng3 je1) literally "big sister" and "pretty big sister" respectively, used for elder women, mostly in dim sum restaurants and HK style restaurants (茶餐廳 caa4 caan1 teng1)
靚女 (leng3 neoi5)/靚仔 (leng3 zai2) literally "pretty girl" and "handsome boy" respectively, mostly used in HK style restaurants, bars, and street markets. The key is to say it very causally, without any tone that might sound like sexual harassment for others. The street vendors would address any potential customers 靚女 (leng3 neoi5)/靚仔 (leng3 zai2) to boost sales.

If you are in a hotel or fancy restaurant it is better to use the generic terms.

Thanks again for your post,
Olivia
Team CantoneseClass101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Cantonese”