Start Learning Cantonese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Why no information on Pronunciation, tones, (Romanization)

gmarsh47194339
New in Town

Why no information on Pronunciation, tones, (Romanization)

Postby gmarsh47194339 » July 12th, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi, I guess this would be the right forum topic to ask this question... How is it that you would not have some sort of guide to pronunciation and tones to get people started? I would think like in Mandarin, some discussion of the basics of the sounds of the language would be a good thing, right? Looking into it briefly (I just joined, and have been studying Mandarin for a number of months) I see that there is a different romanization scheme, and more tones than Mandarin. I guess I could go figure out all this stuff on my own, but It is pretty disapointing that you diddnt prepare any preliminary materials to give a grounding in this. I bet that if you spent half as much effort as the relentless email spamming every single day of the free trial, as well as cross marketing from ChineseClass101 offers to become Founding Fathers, and entreaties for us to further spam our friends, blogs, social networks with more advertising for you... you could have probably put together a nice series like ChinesePod's "Pinyin Program" or at least an interactive table of initials, finals and tones like I have seen on most websites for Mandarin! :-)

Thanks,

nickcripps
New in Town

Tones

Postby nickcripps » July 14th, 2010 2:11 am

I agree. Mastering pronunciation is an important step to fluency, and mastering the tones is a must to master pronunciation. So I hope we would get more resources on the site to learn and practice Cantonese tones. 唔該晒!

Get 40% OFF
david
New in Town

Postby david » July 15th, 2010 6:38 am

Hi Guys,

Definitely a must, and we have materials on the tones coming out quite shortly as part of the introduction / basic bootcamp series. Thanks for teh comment.

--dave

honeydont9505
New in Town

Postby honeydont9505 » July 15th, 2010 12:24 pm

While obviously it's very, very important to know the tones and pronounce everything properly (and it's great that you've got the material coming up shortly!), I have quite liked not being hit with all the info on tones, etc, right from the very, very start. It's made it easier to ease into it, whereas whenever I've tried Mandarin it always seems there's SO much on tones right from the start and it makes me back off a bit. I guess that's a personal thing though!

nickcripps
New in Town

Tones

Postby nickcripps » July 15th, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah I think I know what you mean. When i first started learning Mandarin all the new sounds and tones were overwhelming. I think when it comes to learning any Chinese language we should have a feel of the sounds first then when we are used to them, then we can start actively learning the tones.

I'm still looking forward to the tone lessons though!

showmewhereyourmotherlive
New in Town

Postby showmewhereyourmotherlive » July 21st, 2010 5:06 pm

I've been wondering about this myself !
It's great to know there are lessons on it coming soon :P
Thankyou

Return to “Learn Cantonese Feature Requests”